Monday, December 16, 2013

Mini-Review - Breathless (Elemental #3.5) by Brigid Kemmerer

Title: Breathless
Series: Elemental #3.5
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Release Date: April 30, 2013
Pages: 65, eBook
Goodreads Rating: 4.05 stars
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Content Rating: PG-16 (Sexual situations, homosexuality)

Summary from Goodreads: Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.



Let me start by saying that, unlike most "in-between book" novellas, you really HAVE to read Breathless before you read Secret.  If you don't read this novella, you will be missing out on a HUGE portion of Nick's overall story, so it's pretty much required reading.  So, get your hands on this one!  (Mine was right at the end of Spirit, book #2 in the series).


What I LOVED:
  • Nick's struggle.  Wow!  I was really surprised by this book - I had no idea!  Nick has always struggled to be the "good" brother - the glue that holds his family together and the one who always does the right thing.  So, he doesn't feel like he can tell his brothers his biggest secret - a secret that he's barely been able to accept himself.  Nick's struggle is portrayed incredibly realistically and I was once again struck by how well Kemmerer handles issues that are important to many teens today.  
All I can say is that once you read this novella, you will be incredibly anxious to get your hands on Secret!  I couldn't wait to see what happened with Nick next (so I didn't - I got Secret on NetGalley and read it right away!)   5/5 stars.