Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October Random Read - The Island by Jen Minkman

It's time for my October Random Read (a fun meme hosted by I'm Loving Books). The idea is to pick one random book from your Goodreads To-Read list (using Random.org) to read within the month.  

As I mention every month, I am in love with this meme!  This is such a great way to make sure that I actually read some of those books that have been in my TBR list for eons.  

Last month's random pick was Cold Steel by Kate Elliott - Book #3 in the Spiritwalker Trilogy.  Since this was the final book in a trilogy, I was definitely happy with the pick - I needed to finish this series!  And I was glad I did!  (I just got the review up this morning - Click on the link to read it.) Another winner chose by Random.org!


Random Reads Meme – Hosted by ImLovingBooks.com



And this month's winner is...




#542 - The Island by Jen Minkman


Synopsis:
‘I walk toward the sea. The endless surface of the water extends to the horizon, whichever way I look.

Our world is small. We are on our own, and we only have ourselves to depend on. We rely on the Force deep within us, as taught to us by our forefathers. 

If I were to walk westward from here, I would come across a barrier – the Wall. Behind it, there are Fools. At least, that’s what everyone says.

I have never seen one.’

Leia lives on the Island, a world in which children leave their parents to take care of themselves when they are ten years old. Across this Island runs a wall that no one has ever crossed. The Fools living behind it are not amenable to reason – they believe in illusions. That’s what The Book says, the only thing left to the Eastern Islanders by their ancestors.
But when a strange man washes ashore and Leia meets a Fool face to face, her life will never be the same. Is what she and her friends believe about the Island really true?

Or is everyone in their world, in fact, a Fool?


I added this novella to my TBR list back in June.  I have mixed feelings about this Random Read choice.  I love the cover and the synopsis makes it sound like something I'd really like, but it's gotten mixed reviews.  So, I guess I'll just have to see for myself!  I'll let you all know what I think, of course!