Thursday, August 15, 2013

A to Z Book Survey

Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner put together this awesome book survey and I thought I'd join in the fun!  Make sure you check out Jamie's blog because she has lots of really great unique posts!  And, if you like what you see, join in and post your own answers to the survey!

AtoZsurvey

Author you’ve read the most books from:

Robin Hobb - She's my absolute favorite fantasy author.
(Want an easy way to figure this out if you have Goodreads and keep good track of your stuff? Go to your account, hit “my books”and on the left hand side under your shelves you will see “most read authors”)

Best Sequel Ever:

I'm no good at these "best ever" questions because I can never narrow it down.  The best sequel I've read recently was probably The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa.  Loved it just as much as the first book!

Currently Reading:

The Witches of Dark Root by April Aasheim

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Usually just water.

E-reader or Physical Book?

I definitely prefer a physical book, but the Kindle is great for traveling.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

This is a hard one.  Maybe Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door?  I tended to have crushes on the skinny, cute type of boy rather than the studly types.  And I REALLY loved guys who were funny - but I can't come up with any really funny fictional characters right now for some reason.  Hmmm.... if you have suggestions, let me know in the comments. 

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

Girls Love Travis Walker by Anne Pfeffer.  This book didn't look like much based on the title and cover and it's not in my typical paranormal genre, but it ended up being one of my FAVORITE books that I read this summer!

Hidden Gem Book:

Besides Girls Love Travis Walker?  Colour Wielders by Dawna Raver - Loved this one too!

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

Beginning blogging, of course!  It really has changed my life!

Just Finished:

Lucky Phoo by Stacia Deutsch.  It's an adorable MG novel that I just read for my other blog - Best Kids' Reads.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

There are actually quite a few types of books that don't interest me at all.  I wrote a list of some of them here.

Longest Book You’ve Read:

The Shadow Rising by Robert Wheeler (1006 pages).

** easy way to find this out. Go to your Goodreads “read” list, don’t scroll down but where you are on the screen there will be this little tab on the bottom that lets you choose how you want to scroll or how many books you want display. There is also a sort option with a drop down and you can sort by page.

Major book hangover because of:

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Number of Bookcases You Own:

6. One really tall one in the office, one in the basement (plus more piles of books down there), four in my three kids' rooms (we bought tall bookcases for their rooms, but my son still needed to keep his old smaller one to fit all those books!).

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

The Harry Potter series.  I don't re-read books often, but I read this series on my own and then again with my son.  My daughter is now reading it, so I'll probably read it again.

Preferred Place To Read:

In bed!  If I can't get away with that, then on the family room couch.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

This one is REALLY hard for me because I just don't really keep track of quotes from books.  So, I'm just going to cheat a bit and say the Slam Poetry from Slammed by Colleen Hoover.  I never would've guessed that I'd be a fan, but I LOVED them.

Reading Regret:

There was a period of several years after I had kids where I really didn't read much any more.  I just fell out the habit because I felt like I had no time.  SO glad I started back up again!

Series You Started And Need To Finish (all books are out in series):

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.   I had to switch to audiobooks for the rest of the books in this series because they are just so LONG (see my answer for L - and book 4 isn't even the longest, it's just the longest one that I actually read).  And they're also full of crazy detail and extraneous characters. Still, I really want to find out what happens, so I thought it might work out better if I could listen to them while I'm doing something else.  Every book is like 30+ hours long.  So far I'm on book #9 (out of 13 I believe).

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

Another one of those "all-time" ones.  Argh!  I hate these.  Let's see, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I LOVED that series when I was a teenager), The Harry Potter Series (yep, I know I'm cheating), and The Hunger Games (which got me hooked on dystopian).  I could probably change my mind a million times on this question, but I'm not going to overthink it - that's what my gut told me.

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Yeah, I know, it's a TV series, not a book series, but I've read the graphic novels too (showing my true dedication as a Buffy fan), so that counts, right?

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

More than all the others?  Man, you ask a lot.  At this moment, I'm really excited for Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  It's out at the end of this month!

Worst Bookish Habit:

Checking out books from the library and never managing to read them!  I always have a huge pile of books from the library and I just keep renewing and renewing for as long as I can.  I usually read them the day before their due (when I can't renew them any more) or sometimes not at all!

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper.  I just got this entire boxed The Dark is Rising set from Paperbackswap for only one credit!  I'm a sucker for a bargain!

Your latest book purchase:

Fireseed One by Catherine Stine.  I bought this on my Kindle because I was reviewing Ruby's Fire and, even though they said it could be read as a standalone book, I can't stand to read books out of order!

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer.  Couldn't. Put. It. Down.


Okay, so that's it.  What do you think of my list?  Agree?  Disagree?  Come on, I want to hear from you!!